When I sit down to do my end-of-year reconciling, and what will also be end-of-decade reconciling (wow, is the decade as big for you as I’m seeing that it is for me?!), I also assess my overall energy level, my mindset and outlook on life, and much more.
My personal self-care is included in this assessment.
As you consider goals or intentions for 2020, think also about self-care goals.
What is “self-care?”
There are 5 main areas to consider:
- Physical self-care: the key to this should be something you enjoy. It may look like: yoga, eating more veggies and fruits, going for a bike ride, and more
- Emotional self-care: this is about checking in with yourself, becoming more mindful of your triggers and thinking patterns, and finding ways to work through them, rather than bottling them inside. It may look like: journaling, mindfulness and meditation, being creative such as expressing your emotions through painting, writing, cooking etc, and more
- Spiritual self-care: may or may not contain religion. This is whatever nourishes your soul and inner peace, giving you purpose and meaning to life. It may look like: meditation or prayer, spending time in nature, donating to a charity or cause you believe in, and more
- Intellectual self-care: includes doing something you enjoy that nourishes and challenges your mind. It may look like: reading a book, learning a new language, watching a documentary on a topic you’re interested in, and more
- Social self-care: this may look different for introverts and extroverts. However, connection is important to us all. It may look like: spending time with loved ones, reconnecting with an old friend, striking up a conversation with someone at the coffee shop, and more
So, when you are thinking about your goals and intentions for the next year, and the next decade, consider how your self-care has been and how you would like it to impact you in the coming year(s)!
I find it most helpful to write it down so I can refer back to it! I encourage you to try it! Be holistic in your thoughts of 2020.